Thursday, April 2, 2015

Writing for Edward Hopper

Night Hawks

    We always came out when the sun went down, when the humans cleared the streets, eager to rest at their home.  At 12:30 in the morning, every night, we would come.  We were the only ones left in New York City, the others fled to more remote regions, like Wisconsin or Missouri.  But here we were, Leonard, Roger, Stephen, and myself.  I opened the door to the small diner, the others already present.  Hearing the small bell jangle at my entrance, they all glanced at me, nodded in acknowledgment, and continued about their ways.

    I walked in and sat myself down next to Leonard, my red dress falling to my side as I sat.  Stephen placed a cup of hot tea before me and smiled, before continuing with his washing.  I glanced at the cup for a moment, then sighed.  “I think… I’m going to leave New York.”  Stephen stiffened, but then continued, Leonard and Roger both dropped their newspapers and stared at me, wide-eyed.  “Sorry, I’ve just decided that, although I do love this town, it would be safer for me and-“ Roger quickly interrupted me. “What, you want to give in?  Just like that?  If you leave, you know that means they’ve won, right?”  He said sternly.  I sighed.  “Yes, I’m aware, but this isn’t just about showing resistance anymore.  It’s about safety.  Before, hundreds of years ago, we could have stood up, could have killed them all.  But we can’t now.  Because they have guns, and they’re smarter than before.  Before, I was worshipped and feared for my power.  But now, I can’t… I can’t live hunted like this.  And I can’t just think about myself anymore, Roger!”  I ended my reasons with a shout.  They all sat silently. 
    “I’ll go with you, Elizabeth.”  Leonard said, then taking a sip of his coffee.  I stared at him, and he snickered.  “Did you really think that I’d just leave you?  We’ve been together for so long, there’s no way I’d just abandon you, besides,” He smiled at me, then glanced down at my stomach.  “The baby is mine too, you know.”  I sighed, but smiling, a huge weight lifted off my back.  Roger snorted, laughed a little, and then smiled at us.
    “Well, someone has to watch after her while her stomach becomes huge, she won’t be able to run as much, being that fat and all.”  I glared at him and stood up.  “Yes, I can see you’ll miss me.  But you’ll stay here, fighting?”  He shrugged.  “Yeah, I guess, gotta remind the humans that we’re not dead yet.”  I smiled at him, then placed my hand on my stomach.  Yes, we may be few, but the humans have yet to completely kill the remaining vampires.


1 comment: