Friday, February 6, 2015

Fly Away

I know why they hide and shy away.
I know it, because I've been that way.
I don't know why we're treated as such,
Birds with such large feathers usually flaunt their stuff.
Being caged in our own minds and judgements,
Freedom seeming like an illusion, and something we're denied.
Singing?  Everyone sings for something.
I sing of the day when I can say, "I love women!" and not be scared for my safety.
Flying away to peace seems like an easy event, but
Flying away from yourself never possible.

3 comments:

  1. This poem is absolutely fabulous and completely true. I think that too often people are scared of other things and people that are different from them. They don't even get to know who they truly are, they just see something different and run away. Because of that, we feel trapped inside ourselves in a world that doesn't accept us. I love how you explained all of that in this colorful way with the bird and cage idea. So wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those last two lines are especially poignant to me--I can be as hard on myself or harder even than others, so much so that maybe I'm caging myself in some ways. I'm having trouble saying what I mean but I like this piece and can relate.

    ReplyDelete