Friday, February 6, 2015

Maya Angelou



1.      


Maya Angelou’s first autobiography title is I know Why the Caged Bird Sings.  Angelous reasons why the caged bird sings is because it sings for freedom.  I believe this mirrors her own life, her being the bird, and even though people think that the bird is happy in it’s cage because it sings, it sings because it wants to be free.  I believe that when she wrote her poem, I know Why the Caged Bird Sings, she means the bird to represent oppressed people.  People of color, women, gays, people of different religions are all oppressed in America.  I fully understand what she was trying to convey in I know Why the Caged Bird Sings, having experienced some discrimination myself.
3.   
    I believe talking about bad dreams does not give the dreams too much power.  I believe the more you talk about it, the more clearly you can understand them.  Talking about my fears or bad dreams make them seem not as bad, and it helps me overcome my fears.
4.  
     I believe that dreams do tell the truth about us; things that we desire, things that we fear, things that we think about.  For me, my dreams reveal things that I desire, but know that would never come true, like flying with bird wings or fighting dragons.  I believe these sort of dreams can help feed one’s imagination, or come to new terms with one’s self.
6.    
   I have been studying Japanese ever since I have entered high school, and can hold some simple conversations in this language.  As far as being comfortable, I am not that much… Since my Japanese is very broken, but I think I’m just embarrassed.  I want to be fluent in this language so I can better communicate with my friends, and to be able to talk with important figures in Isesaki, Japan.  I want to teach English in Springfield’s Sister City because I want to help strengthen the Isesaki-Springfield relationship.

2 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that you enjoy talking about your bad dreams and fears because it helps you overcome them. I think most people are too afraid of their fears to talk about them, and you're mature to understand that talking about it helps. I also agree with your thoughts on "I know why the caged bird sings" and that it's about oppressed people. I think everyone feels discriminated at some point in their lives, some more than others, but all of us sing for freedom and equality. I also have dreams of flying! Maybe one day, technology will create wings for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would guess that your dreams for fluency in Japanese will come easily to you once you are immersed in that culture. It's harder to learn from a distance. I admire your adventurous spirit and willingness to make a life for yourself far from the one you've always known.

    ReplyDelete